Tuesday, March 13, 2007

R.E.M., Van Halen Lead Rock Hall's '07 Class



March 13, 2007, 12:50 AM ET (from billboard.com)

Van Halen, whose planned summer reunion tour with David Lee Roth derailed in recent weeks, was represented only by Roth's replacement, Sammy Hagar, and original bassist Michael Anthony, who was unceremoniously booted from the band in the past year. Roth reportedly refused to attend the ceremony after squabbling with Rock Hall organizers about what songs he would perform, and neither of the Van Halen brothers were on hand (Eddie Van Halen entered rehab for undisclosed reasons last week).

Instead, Velvet Revolver performed a medley of "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and "Best of Both Worlds," while Hagar and Anthony jammed on "Why Can't This Be Love" with the house band. "I can't tell you how much I wish everyone was here tonight," Hagar said. "[But] I think Eddie's going to come out the other side a better person, and maybe we'll get our buddy back. You couldn't have kept me from here with a shotgun." Added Anthony, "I'd like to say god bless you to Edward Van Halen. He's home getting some help. I love you, man."