Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Brand New - Not New

I was recently at NorCal Surf Shop in Pacifica, Ca checking out some shades and I started getting into this tune "Limousine" ripping through the speakers of the shop. Background music hardly ever makes it past my ears to my brain so I asked the hottie surf punk chick with the bullets on her belt what the hell I was listening to and she handed me "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me" by Brand New. Now some of you probably know that Brand New hails from Long Island, NY and has been around since before the year 2000. Not what you would say is Brand New, but it's new to me so I thought I'd tell ya about 'em. Most would put them into the Punk/Pop category since they have opened for shitty ass bands like Good Charlotte and New Found Glory, but I would disagree. The opening track sounds like the Mars Volta with Greg Dulli of The Afghan Whigs on vox while the rest of the album continues on a dark, prog, punk, vocal harmonized rock journey (remember the band Menthol?) Good stuff...definitely worth checking out. The word is that the album before this entitled "Deja Entendu" is worthy of any record collection as well. Brand New has a few tunes on MySpace you can check out.